By Stacy Stern, CSEP
Communicating openly with your event partners makes the whole process go a lot more smoothly. Here are some ideas for better working relationships.
- Create a contact form with details of everyone working on a particular event or project.
- Give specific, detailed instructions.
- Include vendors in the creative process.
- Set a realistic budget. Rely on vendors for help on this: They are experts in their fields.
- When negotiating the contract, be sure your vendor knows exactly what to expect, including deadlines for arrival and set-up, the dress code and who the main contact is.
- Create a timeline that accounts for setup and tear-down.
- Pay your vendors on time. I like to pay my vendors as they arrive at the event site—this can be more motivating.
- Thank your vendors the old-fashioned way, with a letter or a card.