Industry leaders gathered in West Mesa, Ariz., in January for education, networking and the annual Tent Rental Division (TRD) meeting at Tent Conference 2018.
In the opening educational session, attendees were introduced to new TRD code consultant Paul Armstrong, P.E., C.B.O., and TRD code committee member Ron Anstey, investigator and section chief with the New Hampshire State Fire Marshal’s Office. Armstrong and Anstey discussed the history of tent-related codes and how industry members can contribute to code development.
In other sessions:
- Market consultant Gary Stansberry addressed the failure of the Classic Party Rentals network, current market conditions and the metrics to focus on if you are considering selling your business.
- Corporate and commercial equipment leasing attorney James Waite offered guidance on contract language to protect against lawsuits.
- Arnulfo Hinojosa, vice president, Federation of Employers and Workers of America, spoke on employing temporary labor through the H-2B program (see page 32).
- At its business meeting, TRD announced leadership changes and elected two new members to its Steering Committee:
Outgoing chair Mike Holland, Chattanooga Tent Co., outgoing ex officio Biff Gentsch, Anchor Industries Inc., and outgoing Steering Committee member Linc Aldershof, Verseidag U.S., were thanked for their service and dedication to TRD. Holland becomes an ex officio member of the Steering Committee.
- TRD welcomed its new chair, Brian Richardson, L & A Tent Rentals Inc., and new vice chair, Michael Tharpe, Rainier Industries Ltd.
- Steve Belliveau of Anchor Industries and Rob Roberts of Big 4 Party Rentals Inc. were elected to their first three-year terms on the Steering Committee.
Attendees also enjoyed a lunch with conference sponsors, the annual golf tournament, a tour of the Apache Trail, opening reception, and a breakfast keynote featuring motivational speaker and comedian Steve Rizzo. TRD thanks conference sponsors for their support of this valuable event: Anchor Industries, Aztec Tents, Charnecke Tents Inc., DAF Products Inc., Economy Tent, Eureka! The Tent Company, Herculite, Keder Solutions, Losberger US, Olympic Tent, Rainier Industries and TopTec Event Tents.
In the coming months, look for details on IFAI Tent Expo 2019, Jan. 23–25, at Rosen Shingle Creek, Orlando, Fla.